Snowbirds’ are leaving Florida as the summer months of high temperatures get back to the upper 80’s and 90’s. When heading back north, Snowbirds are leaving their vacation homes and condos vacant. Are you remembering everything that needs to be done when leaving your home empty? How do you prepare for the rise in temperate and the possible changes in weather over the summer months? Keeping a proper checklist of things that need to be done and phone calls that need to be made is very important. Here is a complete list of things to complete prior to leaving your vacation home.
- Make sure all smoke alarms are working with fresh batteries
- Return library books
- Forward your mail to your northern home.
- Place phone, cable, and internet service “on vacation”
- Place a temporary stop on newspaper deliveries
- Pack all prescription drugs
- Run hot water through your garbage disposal. Use baking soda and vinegar to clean disposal.
- Add 1 cup of bleach to toilet bowls to keep them clean
- Change A/C filters
- Unplug electrical appliances and computers (except refrigerators)
- Disconnect electric garage door opener (to prevent burglaries)
- Unplug hot water heater to save energy
- Discard all perishable items
- Place outdoor furniture and lawn ornaments in a secure indoor location
- Set a programmable thermostat to 80° to prevent mold growth
- Activate home security system
- Make sure your home is properly covered by insurance
- Put an indoor light on a timer to deter burglars from thinking the home is empty
- Arrange for your lawn and pool to be serviced in your absence
- Re-set lawn irrigation timer to account for the rainy season
- Ask a friend or neighbor to check on your property every week or two while you are away
When you want to escape the cold Northern winters, having a second home, condo or apartment in Florida helps. But, it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. These tips for Snowbirds leaving Florida will help make sure you continue having a home to escape to when the temperatures dip again up North.
Ample Insurance wants the inform you of these tips to keep your house safe and secure. While you are away from your vacation home. make sure it is covered by insurance so you can have the peace of mind while you are up north for the summer months. To see if you are covered properly call us at 321-222-1488 , or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.